The 9-12 Project of Central PA

"You Are NOT Alone!"

Rep. Glenn Thompson Address Tea Party Grievances on the House Floor

This was up on GrassrootsPA. I figured everyone would like to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z6l76pycRM

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's awesome! Great exposure, even though not mentioned by name, and it demonstrates that GTs heart is in the right place.
WOW . . . WE WENT TO WASHINGTON . . .WOOOHOOO! This is terrific . . . I fowarded this to lots of friends to show them a group of strangers can pull together for a common good and be heard . . . lets keep it up!!!
Here is the text of Rep. Glenn Thompson's comments, and the comments of Rep. Ted Poe of Texas, from the Congressional Record:

===================
TEA PARTIES -- (House of Representatives - April 22, 2009)

[Page: H4589]
---
(Mr. THOMPSON of Pennsylvania asked and was given permission to address the House for 1 minute and to revise and extend his remarks.)

Mr. THOMPSON of Pennsylvania. Mr. Speaker, I come to the floor today with a message from a few of my constituents. This scroll is a petition signed by hundreds of Centre County residents who participated in one of the many TEA parties that took place this past week in my district.

Not only do I agree with their message that the Federal Government has overstepped its bounds and continues to spend, tax and borrow too much, but I am proud of these folks who took a stand.

I came to Washington in January to be a part of democracy in action, and today, I can say that I am proud of my constituents who spoke out in their displeasure with this broken process that we call Washington. I am proud that they exercised their first amendment rights.

You see, Mr. Speaker, what occurred this past week is democracy. It's what our forefathers envisioned when drafting the Constitution and, later, the Bill of Rights. It's what our soldiers fight for each and every day. Mr. Speaker, it is the American way.

With that, I thank my colleague from Texas for his assistance.
=======================

=======================
TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY -- (House of Representatives - April 22, 2009)

[Page: H4587]
---
(Mr. POE of Texas asked and was given permission to address the House for 1 minute.)

Mr. POE of Texas. Mr. Speaker, when the British Crown initially ignored the Boston Tea Party in 1773 and regarded the participants as rabble, authorities thought nothing would come of the protest. They, of course, were wrong. Early Americans were objecting to the British government for not responding to the concerns of the people.

Now, this year, TEA parties, which means taxed enough already, were held throughout the country where citizens exercised the absolute right under the first amendment ``to peaceably assemble and petition government for redress of grievances.'' Most people seemed to be protesting spending and taxation.

The critics said no one would show up. They, of course, were wrong. Many in the media didn't want to cover the events because, frankly, they were politically opposed to the idea, so they responded by calling the protesters kooks and extremists, sort of like the British calling the colonists rabble and troublemakers.

But thousands of Americans, normal taxpayers who work for a living and not beholden to government giveaway programs showed up to let government know that citizens don't like the government spending so much of their money, borrowing money from China and taxing citizens out of existence. Government would do well to listen.

And that's just the way it is.
=======================
Wow, is that great or what. Our scroll was mentioned (displayed?) on the floor of the House. We should all let our Representative know we appreciate him. Sounds like he supports us as well.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Web Master.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service